Friday, September 12, 2008

Laid Off again :(

So on tuesday Kevins work told him that they were cutting back to a 4 day work week (they were doing 5- 10 hour Days) and then by wednesday they told him he was being laid off... They let go of 11 guys this week. It was a really hard blow! This is the 4th job in a row he has been laid off from in three years... They assured him that it was nothing to do with him or his quality of work- it's just that new construction has slowed down so much. With Kevins medical past (cancer last year) we cannot be without insurance so its going to be really hard the next few months paying a ton for COBRA.

Yesterday he had a job interview at a mechanical plumbing company and got hired! A few weeks ago he told me that this is the kind of plumbing he wants to get into, but at the time I told him he couldn't switch jobs, because he needs the insurance. So it worked out good. They pay a little better, but he'll make quite a bit less without 10 hours of overtime a week, and once he has a bit more experience in mechanical plumbing they will pay him really good. They pay way better on the insurance, in three months they will pay 90% OF ALL THREE of us!!! yea! His last job barely paid any of it. So it has worked out pretty good, we are so grateful that he was only out of work for 1 day! He is a total bounce back kid! He always finds a job pretty quick. Lets pray that this job says busy. He's working at a firestation today! Pretty cool...

I'm proud of you Kev!

7 comments:

Hilary said...

Hey Stephanie! I'm glad you found my blog! You have an adorable little boy. I love the picture where just his hair is in color. I'm sorry to hear about the lay off. This is a rough time, especially in construction. I'm so glad your hubby found a job he'll enjoy, and that you'll have the insurance you need.

Kylee said...

Steph, that is awesome about Kevin's job and the insurance amount they pay. I can't imagine how stressful this has been. That is so cool that he found it so soon. Anyway, speaking of fire stations, you owe me some pictures.

Jason & Kelli West said...

Stephanie I am so happy you found me!! I was way excited to see that it was you! It has been awhile since I have seen you. I think the last time i saw you, you were prego. How did that all go? So happy to keep in touch!! And I am glad your hubby found a new job so fast!

Andy and Lynne said...

it is amazing how things seem to work out better than you would have planned. i am so glad he waws able to get that job so fast, especially with the economy right now! and about that cupcake place, i have got to try it when i come next! you should tell kristi about it, she was telling me that whe wished there was something like that near her, perfect!

Kirsti said...

I think that prayers are answered in the craziest ways. But really we should tell the man upstairs that no more lay off's. There has got to be a better way to get you to the next place in life. So here's to you guys for surviving it all!

Unknown said...

Hey stephanie...I found your blog off of Hilary's! I hope you don't mind...and maybe you don't remember me...it's Michelle Bratt Kemp. I just wanted to say hi! I'm so glad work...well worked out for you all...insurance is such a stupid decision maker sometimes isn't it! You're little boy is adorable...go redheads! I have a whole family of them! Thanks for letting me peek into you family life!

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

That is so great that Kevin got this new job and so fast! I'm glad that he is learning and doing something he wanted to as well. Can't wait to see you guys.