Monday, January 3, 2011

Mya's Birth Story

Our day started at 5:00 am checking into the hospital with surgery scheduled for 7:00 am. Me and Kevin decided to pull an all-nighter the night before the c-section due to the early check in time and my obsessive need to have our house super spotless... My sweet sister Angie who is one of my very best friends in this world drove all the way to Utah from Long Beach California with 5 kids to be here for the birth and Christmas! We spent the evening at my parents house with my grandpa, my sisters family, and my mom and dad. We had a delicious dinner and then Kevin, my dad, and grandpa gave me a blessing.

We then took Jackson to Kevin's parents house in Orem to stay with them for a few days while we were in the hospital. After dropping him off we decided to try and distract me from worrying by going to a 10 pm showing of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (part one). Mya was kicking me the whole movie and I kept thinking- wow, she is going to be kicking in my arms in less than 12 hours...

After the movie we had about 4 hours to pack our stuff for the hospital, shower, clean, and rest. At about 4:30 am we headed out to the hospital. We checked in and they started to prep me for surgery. I hate needles and I was getting nervous for the IV and the spinal block. The IV was terrible- they had a really hard time getting it in my veins and had to try in multiple locations until finally they got it in my hand. While they were struggling I started to go into shock (happens often to me) so Kevin was fanning me and was watching them do the IV and went into shock too!!! He totally started to black out so the nurses rushed him to the chair and got him juice and cookies (I'm in shock too, but couldn't eat- no fair!!!). That has never happened to Kev, so it was kind of funny that we both were in shock at the same time...

Once I was all prepped and had talked to my doctor, Dr. Sean Haskett, and the nurse anesthetist, I kissed Kevin goodbye for a minute and walked down the hall to the Operating Room. They then gave me my Spinal.... PAIN, PAIN, PAIN... That was so horrible, I thought it would be easier than my miserable epidural experience- but no, it was so dang painful. I started fine, being really brave, but by the end and having to do it FOUR TIMES I was screaming! Once I was numb they brought Kevin in and started surgery promptly at 7:00. By 7:06 am our beautiful baby was out! She didn't really cry, more like she was squeaking, but it was such a sweet sound to me. I was so excited to hear that 100%, without a doubt, she was a girl!!! The rest of the surgery went well but my body temperature plummeted to 92 degrees... I went into recovery with Hypothermia. It took all day to raise my body temperature and by 7:00 pm it was at 97 degrees. I kept going into shock throughout the day and was super nauseous and dizzy all day.


Mya did wonderful! Her apgar scores were 8, and 9. She was so tiny and so beautiful with blond hair. The nurses curled her hair and put a pink bow on her. She kept sucking on her hands and was a great eater from the first time nursing her. She did great in the hospital, no problems at all. They had to check her blood sugar every few hours because she was so small and she didn't even cry when they poked her! She slept right through it! Her weight got down to 5 lbs 10 oz but has quickly put it back on.

My pain was managed pretty well as long as I kept the pain killers in me. I was discharged from the hospital the day before Christmas eve at 10 am, which happened to be right when all my medication ran out... by 11:30 when we were able to get home and get my prescriptions filled I was in tremendous pain! I didn't remember Jackson's c-section being as painful as this was- maybe it was but I just don't remember.

It was a crazy week with Christmas and I totally wore myself out running around to be with family but we all survived and had a wonderful Christmas season!

1 comment:

Grant and Kristin Collard said...

Congratulations Stephanie! She is just gorgeous!