Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Cancer Update:

First off I want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of the sweet comments you all have left, it has really been wonderful to know that people love us. As for a little update on my dad, things are not great.

He got some results from his biopsy and was able to meet with his doctor last week. Prostate cancer is scored on a scale called the Gleason Score that rates the severity of it and if they think it has spread. The Gleason Score ranges from 1-10, a 1-3 being really low, not a huge concern, and a pretty common score. A 9 or 10 is considered very very agressive, likely to have spread already, and pretty advanced. My dad's score was an 8, so pretty bad considering there isn't much difference between a 9 and 10. One of the regions tested positive for spreading, he will be getting a bone scan and CT scan done this week. The two areas that prostate cancer tends to spread to is the lymphnodes or the bones. If it has spread to the lymphnodes they might do surgery or chemo or radiation or some combination. If it has gone to his bones there isn't much they can do for him. The best they can do is slow it down, but its extremely painful and terminal. So if it has spread we are praying it isn't in his bones. Of course I am completely overwhelmed and devistated but two of my sisters from out of state came to see him so it was a wonderful relief and distraction to have them here. Thanks again for all of the love and support. I need friends more than ever right now.

13 comments:

Hilary said...

I am so sorry to hear that. We'll all pray it's not in his bones. It's so hard to get news like that. I'm glad you are able to be around family. I hope that is comforting to you and especially your dad.

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

I'm glad your sisters are there for a visit. I'm sure its good to have family time. I hope that you know you can call me anytime you need to talk and that I"m here for you. I'll keep praying for your Dad.

Blake said...

I am so sorry. I am praying that its not in his bones. I am sorry your family has to go through this again.

Merrells said...

So sorry to hear about all of this. Our thoughts are with you.

Peacock Family said...

Oh Steph. I am soo sorry. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sure its nice to have your sisters there. What a great strength.. to have them there at this time. Keep your chin up.. if u need anything just call!

Travis & Liz said...

Steph, that really breaks my heart. We love you and are also praying for you. We are also here to hang out and play as much rockband as possible! If it would help!

Heather said...

Stephanie~I am so sad to hear about your newest trial. Your family will all be in my prayers. Hang in there.

Sarah said...

My prayers are still with you and the rest of the family Steph. Hang in there.

Jessica said...

Goodness...It is so difficult to believe, your Dad looks so amazingly healthy. I just don't even want to believe it. I pray that the best outcome is possible. It will be good to catch up during the wedding.

Aubree said...

:0( So sad Steph. I can't even imagine. we'll keep you in our prayers.

Kirsti said...

Wow, so sorry to hear about this update. Just know that you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. Let us know if there is anything we can do. Even if you need a shoulder to cry on, I am here.

katrina said...

stephanie i want you to know that you guys are in are prayers everything will be ok. please let me know if i can do anything love ya katrina

Kristi said...

We love you guys so much. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.