Sunday, May 17, 2009

Worst Mother of the year Award...

So I deserve the worst mother of the year award...

This weekend we went camping with Kevin's family on Friday out past Cedar Fort. We only planned on staying during the day and evening and returning to our super comfy bed for the nights. So we got home like around 11 pm on friday night and I got Jackson out as he had fallen sound asleep and started to carry him down our front stairs to our basement apartment entrance (about 10 concrete stairs). Halfway down the stairs Kevin thought it would be a good idea to turn the porch light out to keep Jackson asleep but he did it while I was halfway down- and midstep, suddenly it was pitch black and I lost my footing and fell down about 4 steps or so and dropped Jackson and hit his head really hard on the concrete. I was screaming and hysterical and trying to find blood or a hole in his head. I carried him inside with both of us bawling and checked him out, but couldn't find where he hit. He started to shake really bad and started to drool a foamy drool so we took him to the Emergency Room. They took him right back and looked him over and decided he needed a CT Scan. This was just as traumatic as the fall. He was so scared and was crying while holding his kitty cat. The x-ray tech was getting really mad at me for not stopping him from crying and was telling me "This is a complete waste of time if you can't get him to stop yelling and sit completely still" or sighing angrilly and mumbling "this won't work." "This will be a complete waste of money if he doesn't stop." I was trying to calm him and sing his favorite songs and help him take deep breaths, when the x-ray guy came out with tape and taped his head down in multiple spots... This was so not helpful! Finally Jackson calmed enough to get the CT scan done and I grabbed him up and took him back to his room.

The doctor thinks he will be fine and that it is a complete MIRACLE that the damage wasn't much worse! Needless to say I felt terrible and was so devistated for days. I was mad at Kev too for turning the lights out on me like that though, but mostly I was mad at myself. He seems great though, and I have just some scrapes and bruises.

We were truly lucky, it could have been so much worse!

8 comments:

Aubree said...

HOW TRAUMATIC!! I'm glad you are both doing better!! Your little family doesn't need any more drama.

camille said...

So scary! I'm glad he is okay. Your NOT the worst mother, accidents happen. It could have happened to anyone, even with the lights ON. Just be thankful he is alright. You are a great mom.

Hilary said...

Oh my goodness! I am always so worried about falling down the stairs with one of the kids. I bet that was so horrible! I'm glad you are both okay. You should complain about the CT scan guy. That is totally unprofessional to treat you that way. Of course criticizing you is not going to help at all. You're a great mom, so try not to feel too guilty.

Merrells said...

Dang it. That's always scary. It's a good thing the Lord made kids pretty much indestructible for us moms. And what a trooper he is on your road trips. That's a lot of driving! Good luck to Kev with all of it!

Kylee said...

I am glad things are okay, and like you said, weren't much worse. Don't feel bad about it; at least you can say that you were right there holding him when it happened. Mikelle fell out the window once and I was in the other room making dinner. I felt really horrible then. Hope you guys are doing well now and good luck with all the upcoming things for Kevin. You are a great mom!

Travis & Liz said...

Glad you're ok! I have to admit, I love the way you tell stories! I can totally picture how it all went down. And I'll absolutley take you up on that offer if you move to CA!!

Sarah said...

Oh, Steph! That was just an accident- you're not a bad mother. And honestly, that X-ray tech guy sounds like a prick.

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

I'm sure that was so scary. I can't believe how rude that xray person was. He probably doesn't have kids and doesn't get it.